This is the site for a course in the UNC Charlotte Honors College course, HONR 3700, Reading in Slow Motion.
This course is based on a popular course design that intends to build lifelong deep-reading and inquiry habits. You can read about it on blogs and faculty/student websites, such as http://text2cloud.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Reading_in_Slow_Motion_Final-41.pdf.
There are five rules for the course:
1. There is only one book assigned;
2. The course meets once a week for approximately three hours;
3. Each week, the assigned reading is a small number of pages from the book;
4. Use of technology is not allowed during class discussion time (but is encouraged, even required, for doing research outside of class);
5. The final research paper may be on anything except the assigned text.
This will be a course driven by student interests prompted by the novel and by student research, writing, reflection and discussion about where this leads them.